Pages

26 April 2008

Question: What is 10 Years?

Answer: The number of years I've lived in the woods on Old Oak Hill without seeing a Pileated Woodpecker while looking out my kitchen window.

The memory card wasn't in the camera. The door was locked and the screen door squeaked as I opened it. By the time I made my way through the scrub to get near Old Oak, the camera battery was dead. But, the pair was re-united and the worried half of the pair had stopped its kuk-kuk-kuk song that, roughly translated, was a pleading where are you?

So, here is another picture from the woods, just as wonderful, but not as surprising: Virginia Bluebells, a flower with delicate blooms and a leaf that says Don't mess with me! I'm a hardy perennial.



3 comments:

Emily Barton said...

They ARE beautiful!

Rebecca H. said...

Oooh, pretty! Yay for spring!

Anne Camille said...

Emily, Dorothy: As much as I love the flowers, I love the trees too. I continue to forget to bring my camera with me when I go to work -- I pass some of the loveliest white & purple flowering trees. I wish they stayed that way through Spring and Summer.

Wish I had captured the woodpeckers. And this morning there was a beautiful pair of indigo buntings on my driveway. Once again, no camera within arms reach & the flew away too quickly.