Pages

02 January 2006

To A Year of Reading

There are 2 things I decided that I'd do this year -- read more and write a little. This blog will chronicle what I read.

Although an avid reader as a child, now I think often of how I should be reading more than I do, rather than actually reading. So, I'm planning on making the time to read more this year.

Here is a listing of the books I received for Christmas:

  • A Man Without a Country, Kurt Vonnegut Status: Finished reading 12/26
  • The City of Falling Angels, John Berendt Status: Haven't started
  • Our Endangered Values, Jimmy Carter Status: Started 12/31 Finished 1/31
  • Will in the World, Stephen Greenblatt Status: Haven't started
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course, Kevin Zraly Status: Haven't started
  • Bee Season, Myla Goldberg Status: Haven't started Finished 2/12
  • Talk to the Hand, Lynne Truss Status: Started 12/25Finished 1/15
  • America, The Beautiful, Robert Sabuda Status: Looked at several times; it's a tabletop pop-up book. Really cool!

And 3 cookbooks (Yes, I really read them!):

  • Rachel Ray 365: No Repeats, Rachel Ray. Status: Browsed through most of it; already made 2 recipes.
  • The New Moosewood Cookbook, Mollie Katzen Status: Reread. Like visiting an old friend. I lost this cookbook years ago. Good to have it back on my kitchen bookshelves.
  • Indiana Cooks! Status: Finished 12/27. Enjoyed reading profiles of local chefs & deciding which recipes to try. Where ever you live, support your local eateries -- they struggle against the big budget, bland food chains.

I think this brings my cookbook library to 101 volumes!

I'll read these this year -- and many more. There is no defined reading plan; just to read.

Most of gifts I gave this year were books. I wondered, during a marathon book-shopping spree, how many others think the big bookstores should have grocery-sized carts rather than those little baskets!


Happy Reading,
Cam

No comments: