Pages

01 November 2009

That wasn't so bad for a start....

I was excited yesterday about doing NaNoWriMo. I even thought that maybe it would be okay if I started writing, since my outline had energized me. But, I decided that I needed to pace myself (and follow the rules if I'm participating), so I waited until today.

So, what did I do when I woke up this morning? Did I rush to the computer, armed with my outline, a cup of coffee, and thousands of good ideas rushing through the grey matter?

Are you kidding?

I drank my coffee, read about 75 pages in a book (Marilynne Robinson's Home, which I'm liking quite a lot), and then went back to bed. I crawled out from under the covers just before 10:30, just in time to see the nature montage that always closes CBS Sunday Morning.

After a few hours of procrastinating, I finally turned on the laptop. More time with email, news stories, Facebook, and other diversions, I finally started to write. I only had 300 words after a half hour. If I continue at that pace, I'll never finish in a month!

Finally, I started to write. My story went off in a direction I hadn't anticipated, but that's okay. I have now completed the first draft of the prologue and I'm content that I wrote not only a little more than 2000 words, but that I said what I wanted to say in the opening pages. All in all, not a bad start. Let's see how it progresses, some of which I hope to document here, though I don't anticipate doing that daily. No, NaNoWriMo and NaBloPoMo would be too obsessive, too much for anybody.

Happy wordful November, everyone.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I've seen people do both NaNoWriMo and NaBloWriMo and their blogs during that time are quite overwhelming - they make my head hurt.
Go Cam, go! I'm excited you are doing this!

Emily Barton said...

Good for you! I can't wait to hear how it progresses. I, you will note, am being a total slug this November and doing neither NaNoWriMo nor NaBloWriMo. I did, however, write half a ghost story on Halloween, having not written any ghost stories since last spring. Maybe I'll manage to get it in final draft form by the end of this month. We'll see...

Dad Who Writes said...

Am very jealous! Hope you continue to enjoy it...